Be better at your homework
How to Avoid Distractions from Homework: a Useful Guide
Doing your work with your full concentration on it is the quickest and best way to do it. It is not very easy to focus on your homework in the midst of distractions. Distractions and distracters can be of various types. Noises can distract you; music, thoughts, and even people can make you lose your focus if you are not careful. Here are a few suggestions for you to avoid distractions at homework time:
- Shut your door: This may seem obvious, but human beings are social animals. You end up keeping the door open just in case someone pops up. The number one rule to avoid distractions is to create a sense of privacy.
- Do not keep a TV or music system in the same room where your desk is: Another bit that most will ignore and will end up getting distracted. Homework is no one’s favorite activity. Watching TV or listening to some music is more pleasurable and thus high on the scale of dangerous temptations! Keep the gadgets in the living room where they belong.
- Switch off your phone: Many kids, maybe almost all of them, are text addicts. Forget drugs, texting is the new LSD of Gen-Y. If trends are any indicator of teen behavior, it is likely that you would rather give up your clothes than part with your phone, even for a few minutes. You can manage your addiction by switching off the cell phone for 20-minute homework “breaks.” You can increase the duration once you are used to it.
- Hang a “Do not disturb” sign outside your room: This is especially useful if you live in a dormitory, but can also work nicely at home. A “DO NOT DISTURB” sign can be your announcement to the world that you are serious!
- Keep your mind under control: Distracting thoughts are probably the hardest distraction to manage and control. Tell your mind to wait 20 minutes before you can attend to the thoughts it is generating. You should think about the things that popped up in your head in a 5-minute break between two study sessions.
- Keep snacks and water nearby:
Another HUGE distracter is hunger. It is perfectly normal to feel hungry while doing mental work. Your brain consumes glucose and your body asks you to replenish the reserves periodically. Just keep eatables around so that you do not have to go anywhere for a bite.
Nobody ever does their homework well if they are bored. Find ways to avoid boredom even if it means doing shorter sessions more often of your homework. Once you are bored, your homework standards slip.
You can improve your memory. There are exercises and activities you can do just as you might exercise some other muscles in your body. Learn to improve your memory.
Use Key Words
Keywords are just that, the key words. Develop the skill of being able to read something and highlight the keywords. These are the words which will trigger ideas in your mind later on.
Know how long you are able to concentrate. Some people can concentrate for much longer periods than others. But if you know how long it is you can concentrate effectively, then set your homework tasks accordingly.
2010-2017 HeelingHeartsacdRescue.org. Immediate help for your homework assignment.